Saturday, May 1, 2010

Apple Mead Sourdough

Tomorrow me and the wife are taking my mom out for breakfast for her birthday.  It was last week so I need to suck up.  I figured I would bring over some bread to go with breakfast.  Since I still have lots of mead and the last one turned out OK but needed some tweaking I decided to have another go at the mead sourdough bread.  This time I added some apples to it so that it would be nicer for breakfast.

    Get some:
  • 1 Cup of Sourdough Starter.  Since my goop is still not bubbling I added a cup of goop and a tsp of yeast.
  • 4 Cups Flour.  I used white flour mixed with some whole wheat.
  • 2 Cups Mead
  • 1 Tsp of Baking Powder
  • Pinch of Salt

    Also get:
  • 1/2 Cup of Sugar
  • 2 Cups Mead
  • 2 Tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 Tsp Paprika
  • Some Lemon Juice
  • 2 Apples skinned and chopped into cubes. I used red ones.

    Now:
  • In a large bowl mix the flour, mead, starter, baking powder and salt.
  • In a different bowl (I used a big beer stein myself) add the sugar, mead, cinnamon and paprika.
  • Give the mix a good stir.
  • Coat the apples in lemon juice.
  • Add them to the stein.
  • Put something on the apples so they stay covered in liquid and put them in the fridge.
  • Cover the bread dough and put it into a warm oven.
  • Walk away for 10 hours. I went to sleep.  I'm lazy.
  • Knead the dough.  I added some more mead and flour since mine had dried out.
  • Flatten the dough out into a long rectangle.
  • Add the apples to the top of the dough. (strain them, keep the marinade)
  • Roll the dough up around the apples.  Tuck the ends under and put it into an oiled and floured bread pan.
  • Walk away for an hour and let it rise.
  • Paint some of the apple marinade on top of the loaf.
  • Slash the top a few times.  I forgot to do this and I got big tears along the sides.  Oops.
  • Cook in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.
  • Take out and let cool.
  • Give to your mom because you are a suck up.

I haven't actually tried this yet since I'm giving it as a gift in the morning but it looks like it will be good and it smells delicious so give it a try.  I'd imagine you don't need mead.  Maybe a nice apple cider, or apple juice, or water.  Whatever.  I just have a metric ton of mead to get rid of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2009Bread From Goop | by TNB